Have you had the opportunity to eat at the Jolly Holiday Bakery in Disneyland? Sitting at the end of Main Street just before the entrance to Adventureland, this restaurant carries the theme of Mary Poppins with lots of eye catching details, of which my favorite is the penguins in the stained glass windows.
Offering tasty specialty coffee drinks, baked goods (including the “Matterhorn Macaroon”), soups, salads, sandwiches and seasonal quiches, this restaurant has some unique dishes you won’t find elsewhere in the park. My favorite sandwich is their Caprese with fresh tomatoes, mozzarella, basil, lettuce and basil vinaigrette, served on a toasted focaccia bread. Scrumptious! They have a Grilled Veggie and Whole Grain Salad featuring seasonal vegetables, mixed greens, barley, and spelt for those days when I feel like fueling up with great taste and great nutrition. They offer Tomato Basil Soup (delish!) and Chicken Noodle Soup daily, and then usually an additional seasonal soup.
Currently the seasonal soup is CHEESY ENCHILADA SOUP. Here is the recipe so you can make it at home…..
Cheesy Enchilada Soup
Serves 6 to 8
- 5 yellow corn tortillas, cut into thin strips
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, plus 2 tablespoons, divided
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup corn
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 15-ounce can tomato puree
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon Tapatio hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 teaspoons flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Heat 1/4 cup vegetable oil in a 10-inch skillet. When oil is hot, add tortilla strips and stir until golden and crisp, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
- Cook onion in remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat until translucent. Add garlic, bell pepper and corn; cook for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in chicken stock, tomato puree, salt, chili powder, pepper, sugar, hot sauce, and Worcestershire sauce; bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Whisk flour and water in a small bowl and stir into soup. Bring to a boil, then simmer 4 minutes.
- Add chicken and bring back to a simmer. Stir in cream, sour cream, shredded cheese, and black beans.
- To serve, garnish with fried tortilla strips and cilantro
All recipes are the property of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc.
Next time you are in the park, be sure to stop in for lunch or a sweet treat. Enjoy!